How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3675
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

New owner want to build a new dock!but wants to angle it to

Customer Question

new owner want to build a new dock!but wants to angle it to deeper water in front of my property. what is the law on this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 6 months ago.

Under Texas law, you own the water rights extendng out from the edge of your property. Therefore, if the neighbor extends the dock in front of yours, they are poaching on your land and in violation of your property rights. You can either charge them rent or demand that they remove it, but in either case, they are liable to you for damages.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Related Real Estate Law Questions