How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41013
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a rent to own home for over 7 years I am now

Customer Question

I have been in a rent to own home for over 7 years I am now dealing with a major sewer issue in my home but the last time I spoke with the owner about repairing issues in the home through insurance he pocketed the money and no repairs were done. now I am afraid to tell him about these issues due to past history what laws are there to protect me from being out money to fix issues when I make insurance payments.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oklahoma city
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: an insurance claim in 2013 was filled but we never saw the money or the repairs or anything stating where that money went nothing other than that no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this going to cost me cause I don't have a lot of money
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

If the lease here states landlord is to provide maintenance then you can sue the landlord in small claims court.Even though this is a rent to own the lease should state that landlord will maintain the property and you can sue here if you have to in order to cover the costs of repairs.Get an estimate here and send demand letter with it attached and tell him you will sue in small claims if unresolved.The landlord if the lease states it has a duty to undertake necessary repairs here in Oklahoma.Small claims suits may be brought for amounts in controversy not exceeding $7,500.00.

Forms and self help

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but I only have a contract for deed and he carries insurance we pay for the insurance along with property taxes
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Does it state that he will provide maintenance and repairs.You can always threaten to leave and quit paying.It really comes down to the contract terms.If he agrees to provide the repairs he has to do so.Check your contract and again you can always threaten to default here if you have too.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
look I cant afford to pay you im so sorry my husband wants to leave the contract states we take it as is but we didnt have any ideas there were so many problems with the house I am ready to leave the house just dont want for him to get over on us again by coming back with a lawsuit over the issues we are concerned with now.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

I will opt out here and leave this for Oklahoma expert.Please don't respond or rate it will slow down the process.Good luck to you