Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Well, I'm a good tenant which recently has been forced to

Customer Question
Well, I'm a good tenant...

Well, I'm a good tenant which recently has been forced to move due to a unattainable rent increase.

JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Customer: Southern, Ca. zip is 92649

JA: Has any paperwork been filed?

Customer: Not to my knowledge. The problem is this..Lived here for 3 1/2 years due to my Mom's passing. Dad is 98! I live dierectly across the street. My rent her has increased steadily for time spent to the tune of $550.00

JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Customer: Yes. If a tenant is FORCED to move out because they cannot afford to rent property any longer, tenant hasn't the last months rent due to moving cost... Why can't they use deposit plus pet rent saved monies, to pay rent?

Now they're demanding a unprecedented increase of $215.00 which sends me into the $2395.00 category, which I cannot afford!

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Sometimes tenants will use the security deposit to pay the last month's rent. Technically, though, the security deposit is to protect the landlord in case there were any damages to the premises above and beyond normal wear and tear. Some tenants use the security deposit anyway because they believe it is unlikely the landlord will bring a claim since there is no damage to the premises anyway.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is highly unlikely that Property Mgmt will return a cent of my deposits even though there's absolutely no damage whatsoever to my unit. I actually made improvements on my own dime. That being said I'm going to be proactive and let them keep my deposits for Jan rent. I am wary that they might ding my credit though.

If the landlord filed a credit report, you would contact the agencies to remove it because the security deposit would cover the rent and no payment would be due.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney