Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

An owner of a multifamily building is selling the property.

Customer Question

an owner of a multifamily building is selling the property. He wishes to do a 1031 exchange. Is a home in a resort community that allows for weekly rentals considered a like kind exchange. What specifically does a like kind property have to have to be considered like kind from a multifamily?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 6 months ago.
Can you tell me the State that your question pertains to. For some reason it is not showing up on my end.
A 1031 Exchange is also referred to as a Starker Exchange and allows the Seller to defer capital
gains taxes by exchanging (selling) one income producing real property for another. They are not literally an exchange of the exact same type of property.
This link sets out the criteria for property to qualify as a like kind exchange.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/like-kind-exchanges-under-irc-code-section-1031

You will see that 2nd homes or vacation homes for the seller's personal use would not qualify.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Do you have any additional questions for me? I will opt out.