Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I LIVED W A FRIEND THAT TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY AND WAS ONLY

HOME MAYBE 6 TIMES IN...
I LIVED W A FRIEND THAT TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY AND WAS ONLY HOME MAYBE 6 TIMES IN 8 YEARS. I PAID THE UTILITIES NAD BASICALLY TOOK CARE OF THE HOUSE. nOW THE HOUSE HAS BEEN SOLD. The close is 01-06-17, this Friday and the real estate agent just called me telling me i have to be out Friday.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: nad I'm 61.. A senior citiizen
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not received anything in writing. Just a rude text telling me "You have until the 15th to get out. I just received a call from the realtor telling me the close is 010617 & I have to be out that day OK, I looked it up and the law says they have to give me a "Quit notice" of 90 days. The realtor said it was up to the bank...
1/4/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Someone in your situation is a tenant at sufferance, meaning you live on the property at the discretion of the landlord but without paying rent (the fact that you have paid utilities does not affect this). See Florida Statutes 83.04.

There is no set days for notice to quit for a tenant at sufferance in FL, but standard is 60 days, not 90. If you provide me with the your source of 90 days, I can comment on this.

Someone in your situation may wish to write back a formal letter, demanding a WRITTEN NOTICE TO QUIT. Otherwise, the new owner cannot begin eviction prior to a formal notice being sent. This may buy you some time.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Thank you. So, if I request a written notice to quit. It will at least but me another week? Do you think?

You are most welcome. Yes - requesting a formal notice to quit should buy one at least another week, or even more.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE THREE OR MORE STARS and click FINISH to submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law