Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I live in a federally funded comples for elderly and

Customer Question

I live in a federally funded comples for elderly and disabled in NJ. The manager of the complex remediated a mold problem in my apartment and my elderly neighbors. She said we would be responsible for the mold remediation. She said it was the result of tenant neglect.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: There is a large drainage area behind our apartments that is frequently wet and muddy. I replaced all my furniture, and threw out a lot of my clothing and belongings during the remediation. The manager said i would have to use my security to pay for the mold remediation it would cost me $500. I don't believe the mold was due to my fault. Am i responsible for this portion of the bill? My neighbors portion was paid by their church. The cost of replacement of my belongings was over $1000.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: In Morris county NJ
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord and assistant are harassing me and threatening eviction. I am in the complex due to mental illness and have been a model tenant for 6 years. My parents have helped me to cover my replacement costs up to this point but have been told that mold remediation is the responsibility of the landlord in NJ
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

If you believe that landlord is responsible for the mold (and a court agreed with you), then the landlord would have to pay for it. Tenants who believe they have been harmed by the presence of high concentrations of mold in their apartment can try to recover damages from their landlord in court to compensate them for their loss. If a judge or jury agrees that the landlord negligently created a mold problem or allowed one to continue at a property, the landlord could be on the hook for any harm. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-jersey-rules-regarding-mold-rental-properties.html

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If not, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5-star rating for the service I provided to you. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus too! Best regards.