Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

You can. I live in Florida and my aunt passed away in 2003

Customer Question

you can. I live in Florida and my aunt passed away in 2003 and left her home to me. I was making less than $20,000 a year supporting 4 people. What I did, due to no funds, I continued paying the county taxes, under her name, instead of paying a lawyer to do the appropriate paperwork. I got caught approximately 3 years ago and they are now going to make me pay full tax price instead of letting me claim homestead exemption. I have lived in this home since 1993. I did not cheat them. I paid my taxes, I had just not changed the name of the owner. Can I fight this? I am 60 years old and currently unemployed.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida. I have to pay for this?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The house is now in my name. I have received many letters from the county and I am assuming I will have the house taken from me within the next year or two.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not have money to pay for this. Do I need to disconnect now?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

How much is being sought from you in taxes?

awaiting your reply.