Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

There were 5 heirs who each inherited an individual piece of

Customer Question
property from their grandfather's estate...
There were 5 heirs who each inherited an individual piece of property from their grandfather's estate. There was a missing heir a generation ago, but nothing was done to clear the title(s) on the properties. Now 4 of the heirs have done a quiet title and their 2 year waiting period is over. The 5th heir sold his property to his wife's brother and the brother never did a quiet title on the property. It has come to light that the missing heir had some stocks in his name and the family would need to get a Judgment of Heirship to apply/ claim these stocks.
Question: Will the process of getting this Heirship Judgment have any repercussions on the quiet title properties and will it affect the one property / owner who failed to get a quiet title?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Which heir was not part of the quiet title? "The 5th heir sold his property to his wife's brother and the brother never did a quiet title on the property." Is this referring to the 5th/missing heir?

Was the missing heir named in the quiet title action?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the 5th heir was not the missing heir. The missing heir was named in the quiet title action, but heir #5 didn't bother to do the quiet title because he figured that he'd only need a quiet title if he were going to sell the property or get a bank loan to build a barn on it. He was not planning to do either of these.

So 4 of the 5 heirs brought a quiet title action that the 5th was named in but did not participate. Was there a court ruling on he quiet title? Did the 5th object?

When you stated "The 5th heir sold his property to his wife's brother and the brother never did a quiet title on the property." Did they sell their right in this particular piece of property to the wife's brother? Did brother-in law receive a deed? Was a deed recorded.

Can you attach any documents?

In other words what does the title look like today? Have you performed a chain of title search?

Back to the "missing heir" was that heir named in the quiet title? Was notice provided to that person personally or if not was notice published?

Tina, Lawyer