Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I file a garnishment on a renter who is damaging my

Customer Question
property?...
Can I file a garnishment on a renter who is damaging my property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: socallegalwork, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
socallegalwork

I believe I can assist you. Typically, in order to garnish wages you have to be a creditor with a judgment entered against the tenant (debtor).

In Florida there are a few exceptions where you don't need a judgment (taxes, child support), but for property damage or unpaid rent you need a judgment.

So first you would need to file suit against the tenant or former tenant for breach of lease and then get a judgment for the damages. Once you prevail and get a judgment for the damage entered, then you will have several options to recover your damages if tenant fails to pay- including wage garnishment.