How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlord is now demanding that I get $100,000.00

Customer Question

My landlord is now demanding that I get $100,000.00 liability insurance on the place I rent from them. It must cover losses including smoke fire explosions water damage a d overflow or sewer backup. Is this legal
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no we just received letter in mail stating we must get this insurance as of Jan
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. Do you have a lease or rent month to month? Do you know when this was sent, since we are in January now, so it is odd they are demanding it and it is after the fact

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we were on 1 year lease now month to month was received in Saturday mail
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
why should I pay their insurance this does not cover my personal belongings
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. If you now rent month to month, the landlord can ask that you obtain renters insurance but they need to provide you with the proper time and notice, for this to happen. They need and want to be protected from loss, in the event that something happens, so it is not uncommon for a landlord to require renters insurance. Now, if you do not want to obtain it, you do not have to but then you may need to move. If you like where you reside, you should obtain prices, as it should no cost that much. They want you to get it to likely 1) reduce their premiums and 2) place the burden on you to pay and use it if something happened, which would be viewed as your fault.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
why should I have to pay for leaky roof, water heater saggy floors etc
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

You should not. Renters insurance should cover any loss or damage which is a result of your actions.