How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lives in public housing. She has been evicted

Customer Question

My daughter lives in public housing. She has been evicted because they say she has not met community service hours required to keep her apt. She has had major back surgery and is still on doctors care which she took to her landlords. They still insist she must go against doctors orders to keep her apartment and do this community service. Please advise . She has been told to be out by January *, 2017
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Against housing?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes she also has a son that is also on doctiors care and has to be schooled by the teacher where they come to your house.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist.

Of course they can not force her to do this community service while she has a doctor's note saying she is not physically capable. That is ridiculous.

First you should send them a letter directly stating that she is not able to do this now, but will catch up when she is able. Attach the doctor's note again, and ask them to stop the process of asking her to leave.

Then you also need to send a formal letter to the housing authority, in addition to the prior letter to the management of the building, informing them of the situation and that they can not lawfully ask her to leave when she has a health condition that keeps her from doing this community service.

I would personally probably send the second letter in person, hand delivered, and insist on a meeting with someone high up in the housing authority, to try to get it taken care of right then and there. They know that can't do this, they are just trying to do it anyway, but if you get forward with them and direct, they should back down.

Let me know if you have questions about this before you rank my answer. If you don't, positive feedback with give me credit for my work with you today.

Take care,


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I recently wrote to you about my daughter being evicted from public housing. We got all of her medical records (which they already had in her file). We wrote the letter about her making up her community service now they are sending her to the magistrates office to see if he will uphold their eviction. Now what?

Related Real Estate Law Questions