Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

MY FATHER IN LAW WAS A GUEST IN A HOUSE MY HUSBAND AND I

Customer Question
OWNED FOR 15 YEARS (MY...
MY FATHER IN LAW WAS A GUEST IN A HOUSE MY HUSBAND AND I OWNED FOR 15 YEARS (MY HUSBAND BOUGHT THE HOUSE FROM HIS FATHER) HIS FATHER LIED TO US AND TOLD US THAT HE HAD LIFE USE AND THAT WE WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAXES & INS. FOR ALL THOSE YEARS. IN OCT HE WAS IN AN ACCIDENT WHICH SENT HIM TO A NURSING HOME AND NOW AT THE DAUGHTERS HOME. WE FOUND OUR ORIGINAL DEED TO THE PROPERTY IN HIS DRAWER AND FOUND THAT HE DIDN'T HAVE LIFE USE. HE TOTALLY DESTROYED THIS PROPERTY.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CT. BUT TO FINISH THAT WAS IN OCT. WE HAVE ALREADY SPENT 7500.00 JUST TO FIX ELECTRICAL AND SOME PLUMBING AND A DUMPSTER. HOWEVER THE FAMILY NOW WANTS THE WASHING MACHINE THAT HE BOUGHT. I SAY NO WAY BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO? WE STILL HAVE THE OLD DRYER AND REFRIGERATOR. THIS MAN HAS CAUSED US NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS..IN ALL THE TIME HE LIVED THERE WE PAID FOR TAXES, INS, MAINT TOTALING OVER 40,000 IN ADDITION TO THE COST TO PURCHASE. I FEEL THAT SINCE HE LIED TO US AND STOLE FROM US WE SHOULD KEEP THE WASHER!
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: NO, BUT WE DID ORIGINALLY SPEAK TO A LOCAL LAWYER THAT TOLD US HE WAS JUST A GUEST IN THE HOUSE AND WE COULD GET RID OF ANYTHING WE WANTED AND TO JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO THANKS
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If the property is deeded to you so that it is your property than the appliances that are in the property belong to you as well. The family has no LEGAL claim to the washer. It is up to you to do with it what you want.

I am sorry that your father in law took advantage of you. It doesn't sound like he has much money. So suing him over the damages may not be worthwhile if he has nothing to collect.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer