Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have been living in my Apt for four years and never missed

Customer Question

I have been living in my Apt for four years and never missed a payment, but because I wrote a complaint to the BBB about their poor maintence service, my landlord told me since you are not happy you have to move and we can not renew you lease, is this this legal!!!!!!!!!!
JA: Thank you.
Customer: Email -***@******.*** cell(###) ###-####JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: When I arrived home today a typed letter was on my door stating when my lease is finish I must move, at the top of the letter is titled Advance Notice Of Lease Terminnation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes there was times when the hot water was off for a whole week in the deepest part of winter several times and many tenents complain about the hot water many of times so about a year ago the land lord came to my apt and stated verbally " Mr. Russell if you are not happy than we are giving you the option to move because we dont want unhappy people renting from us , and my response was so long as you can provide me with hot water than all will be fine and that was the end of story and now after a year since this incident they tell me we can not renew your lease because we feel you are unhappy with us .
JA: Thank you.
Customer: In a nut shell they are forcing me out because I made a complant!!!!!!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The landlord is under no legal obligation to renew a lease, once it expires, if they do not want to. Now the issue is that they can not 1) discriminate against you and/or 2) retaliate against you for exercising your legal rights and their desire / inability to comply. In this case, if there was an issue with maintenance, it should have been addressed with the management. The BBB has nothing to do with this, so a negative review or even the complaint, would not really do anything. However, if you can show the reason they are not renewing the lease is to retaliate against you, you could try and sue for damages.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!