Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I was shown a normal condo when viewing units to rent. In

Customer Question

Hello i was shown a normal condo when viewing units to rent. In moving day I was given a handicap unit.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes, I signed the agreement because I had to move that day. I have been talking to the management company since that day but they are refusing to put me in normal condo
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Want to know if this violates a law by putting me in a handicap condo when I am not handicap nor wanted a disabled condo?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you hate the unit, then you could file suit against the landlord if they won't move you to a different unit. Your grounds would be breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation because they showed you a normal unit, which was acceptable, and then they pulled a switcheroo and gave you something substantially different.

.

If you were to threaten to sue them, they likely will just move you rather than get sued and have to go to court to defend by paying an attorney to do so.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks