Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Two sperate parcels of land indicated on the plat map,

Customer Question

Two sperate parcels of land indicated on the plat map, survey shows the house after being builded sits on major portion of parcel #1 and part of parcel #2 because of water problems on parcel #2. Survey shows a starting point and goes around both parcels and ends at the begining point. How should they be recorded for taxes? as one or two separate parcel.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NC
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The house was build in 1975 . Since the house sits on both parcel they should have been recorded as one parce.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The parcels has had two separate tax bill since I brought in 1980.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.

I am assuming that your deed to the properties correctly recites that you own both parcels. In that case, the fact that the home is built partially on both parcels is of no consequence. I don't know what you mean by "how should they be recorded". The deed by which you obtained the parcels should already be recorded. Your county assessor might permit the two parcels to be combined into one for tax purposes. They probably have a form for that. The two legal descriptions can be reworded to combine them. It's not a bad idea to do that because the two parcels can never be sold separately because of the home.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and if you have no further questions PLEASE enter a FIVE STAR RATING. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.