Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I had to break my lease in Poughkeepsie, NY and moved to

Customer Question

Hi,I had to break my lease in Poughkeepsie, NY and moved to Piscataway, NJ. I got a letter from Mgmt saying that we need to pay them rent until they rent my old apt. I don't know if these people are double dipping I think they don't believe I had serious health issues. I want to take this issue to court because I'm also disabled. The problem is that I'm only 42 years old, not a senior citizen yet. I can't check or find from my neighbors if the apt is being show at all. Thank u.
Erika
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. From a legal standpoint, if you broke the lease early and vacated, you could be responsible to pay the rent, until a new tenant is found. If you do not, then they would have to sue you and it would be at that time, you could contest and oppose them and raise as a defense, they failed to make a good faith effort to rent this and allow it to sit idle. They would need to show and support the efforts which they made to try and find a tenant and would need to show where it was listed, who it was listed with and anything else they did to try and find someone, to mitigate damages.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!