Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

What is the length of time that I can back out of a

Customer Question

Thanks.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: What is the length of time that I can back out of a commercial space if I sign last week?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: It is a sub lease that we signed but it has so many things in the lease such as we have to give the leasing company our monthly sales from our restaurant
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We would like to start from stratch with a new contract. We get no free months, no buildout, etc.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The property is located in LaPorte Texas
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Two other person had the lease before us.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We only agreed because the franchise that we bought was the location that the other two persons owned.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

There is no way to automatically get out of the lease. Many people believe that there is an automatic 72 hour rule that allows you to get out of a contract within 72 hours (3 days) but that is just wrong and the myth likely came about because there is a law that allows you to get out of a sale made by a door to door salesman within 72 hours but there is nothing like that which applies to a commercial lease.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is that for Texas as well?

The only thing you can do is have a local lawyer examine the contract itself and see if there is anything in there that may enable you to get out of it. SOme contracts have a clause that allows you a certain amount of time to change your mind, although those are rare, but if there is an irreconcilable difference in terms in the contract then that can provide a way out. It takes an experienced eye to see these however.

In addition, if there is something in the contract that is illegal then that can make the contract void as well. Again, that usually requires a lawyer to spot.

It should be relatively inexpensive to have a lawyer review this.

Yes, that is for Texas as well. The Attorney General used to have a web page that stated this but they rephrased it when Paxton took office. It still says this but not as directly.