How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ?my father did a quit claim deed in Puerto Rico

Customer Question

Hi I have a ?my father did a quit claim deed in Puerto Rico gave me all his right n assigns forever in a property in Buffalo NY .he did the paper over their would those papers be valid in the usa in Buffalo NY bcz my lawyers was trying to charge me again to do the same paper work that he did n I just feel like she was trying to scam me for my money
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Buffalo ny
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: He was married n took his wife off the deed I did all that over here in Buffalo for him she sent him the paper work put him only on the deed n then he did the quit claim deed in the state of Puerto Rico wit his lawyer he notarized it n then she sent it to me so I could notarize it in Buffalo I haven't filed for the deed bcz this is my first time owning a home n my lawyers is not been strait wit me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If the paper are valid in Buffalo NY so I could file for the deed to be switch to my name ..
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The quit claim deed needs to be done in the state where the property is located. So the quit claim while it could have been signed when he was in Puerto Rico, needs to be a NY Quit Claim Deed and not a Puerto Rico quit claim deed. If it is not on the right quit claim deed, it would not be enforced in NY and would need to redo it all.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.