How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12250
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Missed a payment last December. But have paid a payment each

Customer Question

Missed a payment last December. But have paid a payment each month since. Noe attempting to foreclose How to stop foreclosure?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Got a letter Friday evening that if a payment was not made by 11/27 that they would start foreclosure attempted to pay online and it would not allow payment by phone nor online. And was on hold 4 hours and did not get a rep to talk to me
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not. To my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again.

Ordinarily, the easiest way to stop a foreclosure in your situation is to resinstate (i.e., pay the arrears). If the lender will not accept payment by phone or online, then you can mail it and request a tracking number so that you can prove that it was delivered. If that doesn't work for some reason, then in a worst case scenario you can file for bankruptcy. A bankruptcy will stop any foreclosure, and if you file for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, then you will have between 3 and 5 years to pay the arrears to the lender. It's kind of like a forced payment plan that the lender has no choice but to accept.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

Related Real Estate Law Questions