Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

When I bought the condo unit and parking spaces in 2003,

Customer Question

When I bought the condo unit and parking spaces in 2003, there were no restrictions on renting parking spaces to a nonresident. I rented parking spaces to nonresidents from the time I bought the condo unit. In 2005 they Board changed the rules and said parking spaces could only be rented to residents. From 2003 until March 2016 the Association allowed these rentals. Then in March 2016 they sent notice they would fine me and sue me because I rented spaces to non residents. Do I have grandfather's rights to rent parking spaces to non residents? The parking spaces are the reason I bought into the complex.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, the Association has the right to regulate the use of parking by non-owners or to change the access to parking. The grandfathering would only be through the end of an existing rental. then the rules restricting the rental would be in force.