How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a water pipe bust in my rental, does the landlord

Customer Question

I have had a water pipe bust in my rental, does the landlord have to pay for emergency housing?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Is there a written lease agreement?

Does it address any limitations of the landlord's liability in the event of habitability issues?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was just a piece of paper signed saying im living there and renting
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Was there an expiration date in the lease term?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Since there is no fixed term, you are a month to month tenant. As such, the tenancy may be terminated on 30 days notice.

So, if the landlord was liable for the repair and the premises are rendered non habitable for the month then the the landlord would be responsible, until the end of the termination period for the month to month tenancy.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

In other words, yes, the landlord would be responsible for the cost of comparable lodging for the period you paid rent.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!