WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

Just checking on my rights as i had made a booking online

Customer Question

Hi, just checking on my rights as i had made a booking online through Booking.com for 3 nights in a hostel and received the booking details. When i got there it was late and the manager was sleeping but woke up to provide me with a room. I had paid for the night with cash and had advised him that i would be staying the nights as per my booking and i would be paying for the 2 additional nights today after i returned back from work. I made friends with a few of the other people there and when i went to work this morning at 7.30 a short time afterwards one of my new friends had noticed that my room was empty and perused to find where my belongings had been moved to. The manager hadn't said anything to me regarding this so when i found out i was in total shock - can you please advise me on my rights regarding this - the hostel is located in Fortitude Valley 4006 Queensland.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Fortitude valley Queensland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no and i hadn't filled out or signed anything last night so no agreement had been made except my booking confirmation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just would like to know if he has the right to enter my room, remove my belongs and put them somewhere and not advise me
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 10 months ago.

NO, under applicable law he has no right to do that, and he should have received notice from booking.com that you had registered for three nights. So I believe you have a claim against both the hostel and booking.com for negligence. You will have to prove that there was some damage to you, and they will likely just settle the claim with you to avoid the negative publicity that will result.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 9 months ago.