How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I serve some one in TX papers from WY in regards to a

Customer Question

Can I serve some one in TX papers from WY in regards ***** ***** broken lease (small claims)
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Wyoming
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, not at this point
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, no, you cannot. A court order issued in Wyoming is only valid in Wyoming. Most small claims courts do not allow people to sue non-residents for this reason. You CAN hire a process server in Texas to deliver the paperwork, or you can mail them to the person, but if they choose not to appear, there is no recourse.

What you can do is sue them in Small Claims Court in Texas. Before you go through the time and energy of doing that, you should know that Texas is one of the most difficult states to enforce a judgment in, because they don't allow wage garnishment. But if the person has any assets in Wyoming, you could go after those assets.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Real Estate Law Questions