Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a woman living in my house for almost a year. She has

Customer Question
come between my husband and...
I have a woman living in my house for almost a year. She has come between my husband and I. I want to get her out of my house. What is the legal way of doing this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kentucky
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. And there is no lease.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Noi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Have you given this person any written notice to vacate?

.

Do they pay you any rent?

.

If so, are they late or do they owe you anything now?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was no written notice and no they don't pay any rent.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband and I let this girl stay with us and her children. She is from out of state and doesn't have any family here. So we let her stay with us. Now she has come between my husband and I and I want her out. What can I do?

Ok, from a purely legal perspective, when you let this person move in, you became a landlord and they became your tenant under an oral month to month tenancy agreement. This is true even if there is no rent paid and no lease signed.

.

So you have to terminate her tenancy with a 30 day written notice to vacate, and then evict her through the courts in a "forcible detainer" (eviction) action if she won't voluntarily vacate.

.

Once the 30 day notice expires, you can file the forcible complaint (clerks will have the summons and complaint forms) at the local District court and then get a judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff will execute to force her to leave. After the notice expires, you are looking at 3-4 weeks after that before you could have the sheriff put her out..

.

As an aside, in addition to being a KY attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Now I know what I have to do.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer