How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34424
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a house, had my closing attorney there. I got a

Customer Question

I bought a house, had my closing attorney there. I got a $840 tax credit to pay the taxes when they came in. however, when they did come in, they came in for $5,208. my attorney was supposed to catch that there was a senior freeze on the taxes. he is telling me to get a tax attorney now that he isn't responsible.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and look forward to assisting you.

The freeze you are referring to is a freeze in the assessment and your attorney should have caught that or, at least, inquired as to whether there were any exemptions in place affecting the taxes.

You can file a malpractice claim to attempt to recover the difference. It is likely the attorney would try to settle with you rather than litigate a relatively small claim.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do I file a malpractice claim?
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for following up with me.

Since the claim does not exceed $10,000, you can file in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!