How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3720
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My HOA for my condo was suspended since 2007 and recently

Customer Question

Hello, my HOA for my condo was suspended since 2007 and recently got it corporate status back i have not paid my HOA fees. I am currently trying to close escrow on my condo and they are demanding that I pay my past dues to close escrow. I am planning to pay to close escrow however under protest. After escrow closes what do you recommend for me to do to get my fees back? thank you
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the real estate lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: it is californoa oops california
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes, I have a statement from the escrow of the fees that I need pay before i close.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The HOA has not communicated the length of time it has been suspended buy my findings are that it was from 2007. A new management company has taking over the association. It is important that I close escrow this week.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it possible for me to fight and get my money back after I close escrow? I am writing a certified letter to the HOA Management Company stating that I am paying the past due fees under protest due to the "Suspended Corporation". What else should I do as documents to protect myself and attempt to retrieve my payment. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can fight it, and under California law, if the HOA was suspended, they have no legal right to claim fees and they cannot come after you for fees for the period during which the HOA was suspended. That is California corporations (HOA) law.

You should close escrow under protest, and demand that the escrow company give the fees back to you.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thank you. I am writing a letter in protest to the HOA company not the escrow. The HOA is asking for the fees through escrow. Should I also write a letter to the escrow company?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you also provide me the legal code that states they cannot request the fees? Thank you
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 11 months ago.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you well.

Yes, you should notify the escrow company of what you are doing.

It is general California corporations law that a corporation that is not duly registered has no legal rights, including here.

In California, both the Secretary of State’s office and the Franchise Tax Board have the authority to suspend a California corporation. The Secretary of State’s office can suspend a corporation based upon the failure to file and pay the annual Statement of Information. This statement contains the identity of the officers and directors of the corporation, as well as its agent for service of process. The failure to file a Statement of Information on time may result in a $250.00 late fee.

The Franchise Tax Board has the authority to suspend a corporation based upon the failure to pay the minimum tax of $800.00 a year or the failure to pay any taxes that are owed. In addition, a corporation may be suspended for the failure to file tax returns. Tax returns are required on an annual basis even if the corporation is not doing business.

The impact of a corporation being placed in suspended status is substantial. When a corporation is suspended, it has lost all rights and privileges as a corporation and cannot legally operate. In that regard, technically a suspended corporation is required to close its business and stop all business related activity. Moreover, a suspended corporation cannot sue or defend any action in court. Furthermore, a suspended corporation that provides a service, or goods, to third parties while suspended may not be able to collect payment for such services or goods since the suspended corporation technically was not permitted to engage in any business transactions.

A California corporation can be placed back in good standing after its has been suspended by being revived or reinstated. Until the corporation corrects its suspended status, the corporation is prohibited from transacting business and any contract executed by a suspended corporation is voidable at the demand of the other party. The only exceptions to the loss of corporate privileges upon suspension are that the corporation may (1) change its name by amendment to its Articles of Incorporation and (2) apply to the Franchise Tax Board for tax exempt status.

Once notification is received of the suspension, it is important to move as quickly as possible to have the corporation revived or reinstated. A corporation that was suspended by the Secretary of State because of the failure to file the required annual Statement of Information can be revived by sending a letter to the Secretary of State along with (1) the delinquent Statement of Information and (2) the payment of the overdue fees and/or penalties imposed. Provided that the corporate name is ***** ***** the Secretary of State will send a “Notice of Reviver” to the corporation and notify the Franchise Tax Board. If the corporation’s name was taken by another corporation during the suspension period, then the Secretary of State will advise the corporation that it must change its name by amending its Articles of Incorporation before the corporation can be revived.

In the event that the corporation was suspended by the Franchise Tax Board, the suspended corporation may have its corporate privileges reinstated only by filing all delinquent tax returns and statements, paying all applicable taxes, penalties, interest and fees, and filing an application for a Certificate of Revivor with the Franchise Tax Board. Before the Franchise Tax Board issues the Certificate of Revivor, the Secretary of State must again approve the corporate name to insure that another corporation did not take the name during the period of suspension.

In summary, the potential adverse consequences that can flow from the suspension of the California corporation dictate that both the required Statement of Information and the payment of the minimum annual franchise tax and tax return be transmitted on a timely basis. While a corporation can be revived or reinstated following a suspension, the danger exists that the corporation’s name will be taken by another entity during the time of the suspension. Additionally, the risk of being unable to participate in litigation, as well as the risk of having a contract voided by the other party, greatly outweigh the burden of complying with the requirements of the Secretary of State and the Franchise Tax Board.