How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I feel i have an unfair housing judgement on my record from

Customer Question

I feel i have an unfair housing judgement on my record from 7 years ago that is now preventing me from getting a mortage. I have called to try and settle with the lawyer, who works on staff for the apartment complex, and she was very unwilling to help settle the matter
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have not filed or reported anything yet. I guess i don't know what or where to file anything. I am trying to find out about my rights
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not. Is this something i am going to have to pay for?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, when it comes to having a judgment against you, if you believed it was unfair you had to fight it when suit was filed and you should have filed an appeal if you disagreed. Otherwise, it is too late if it is 7 years old. Legally, I am afraid that you have to either pay the judgment off or it would remain. I am sorry to say that 7 years is too long to appeal or file a motion to vacate, so the only way to resolve the matter is to come up with some number the complex will accept to resolve the issue, but it could be they will insist that you will have to pay the entire judgment. If you are not feeling comfortable negotiating with the complex attorney, you can hire your own attorney to represent you to seek to negotiate a resolution of this judgment on your behalf, but that is the only other option.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.