How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116799
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just wanted to know if a landlord breaks rent increase

Customer Question

just wanted to know if a landlord breaks rent increase ordinance, is there punitive fees that can be charged or only rent difference?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Alameda County, California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No Just asking in general as they offered me free rent don't want to settle for something less if I am entitled to more.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they intentionally violated the rent ordinance knowingly, then you can seek up to three times the rent overcharged. If they did not do so knowingly, then you could seek double the rent difference as damages. Of course they are offering to settle for just the rent payment in the amount of the over payments, but if you go to trial and prove the violation you should be entitled to double what you overpaid at the very least
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions