How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friends dad is in a subsidized apartment in Smyrna TN.

Customer Question

My friends dad is in a subsidized apartment in Smyrna TN. The landlord at one point wanted to kick him out over a claimed complaint of indecent exposure. (He went to the bathroom in a secluded area of green space on the property where he didn't see anyone remotely in the area). This incident was never documented by letter and there has never been any issues before/or after. He always pays rent on time. They now don't want to renew his lease. He is an older veteran and has limited means but, feels very comfortable now in his surroundings and moving to an affordable place won't only be extremely difficult, it will be traumatic as well. Does he have any recourse? Or should my friend prepare for some sort of relocation? Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once his lease ends, the landlord does not have to renew the lease and the law does not force a landlord to keep someone on their property that they do not want there. So the law will not force the landlord who owns the property to continue to rent to the father and once the lease expires your friend's father needs to prepare to leave if the landlord will not renew.
You friend needs to contact the housing authority office and get them started right now in trying to locate a new subsidized location for the father.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions