Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

To the licensed attorney, Barrister, no the crack is very

Customer Question
large and opening wider with...
To the licensed attorney, Barrister, no the crack is very large and opening wider with each month because the 40 story condo is settling and could very well start falling, on me while sleeping in my bed underneath it or who knows come down in pieces, a professional in that area of repair could only tell what could happen. And as I said I am 67 and my mom is 90 so we are concerned and feel taken advantage of.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 5455 N. SHERIDAN RD. APT 1504 CHICAGO, IL 60640
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THE OWNER WANTS US TO PAY FOR IT. I FEEL IT IS HIS PROPERTY AND WE PAY OUR RENT MONTHLY WITHOUT FAIL. I FEEL IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
11/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Ok, at this point, your best and fastest recourse is to contact the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector's office and ask them to come out and inspect the property. This could be a serious structural issue that makes the entire dwelling dangerous to live in because it could give way at any time.

.

The inspector can cite the owner for any violations due to his failure to make repairs so it is structurally safe and secure and force him to repair it or face daily fines after a deadline date.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer