Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have recently moved into an apartment in Beach, CA and

Customer Question

I have recently moved into an apartment in Long Beach, CA and have only been here for one month. We have had numerous incidents with the homeless that live behind the apartment with noise and damage to the apartment building. We also feel unsafe because of the gang activity that is occurring around the apartment and directly outside of our window. Both the gangs and homeless have numerous confrontations with each other and among themselves. We feel extremely unsafe in our apartment. We have tried contacting the property manager and they have been ignoring us and are constantly out of the office. We are trying to either break our lease or see if they will just consider it a wash and let us leave because of the dangerous activity in the neighborhood. I do think that we should be able to get our deposit back and for them to ignore our complaints I believe is illegal. We have been trying to contact them for 10 days and have only just received any word about what we should do. The person we have been dealing with has been extremely elusive and in her last email that she sent is trying to get a hold of her supervisor who is out of the country. I feel that they are giving us the run around and feel that we have just cause to take legal action. What steps can we take?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? That is you claim you have just cause for legal action...what legal action would that be?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there anything legally I can do to get the property management company to move forward with breaking the lease agreement and to get the deposit back because of how unsafe the neighborhood is? I feel that they are trying to force us to stay in the unit by ignoring our calls and emails we have even come by the office and she "was not there." The have not given a time line as to when we will be contacted. The area is unsafe and we can no longer stay here, but they are not contacting us or returning our calls, emails, or voicemails.

Can you tell me, is the management responsible for activity you are describing (homelessness/gang activity)? If so how?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No they are not.

Thanks
Did the landlord/magement lie to you in the negotiation of the lease? If so how?