How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Could not pay Novembets rent. Boyfriend left me and I have

Customer Question

Good morning. Could not pay Novembets rent. Boyfriend left me and I have no job. When we moved in we gave him 3700.00 for deposit and first day tent. As of right now I cannot pay rent. He had given me a five day notice. Can you please give me advice
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: By the way tenants rIllinois eceived a notice he has not paid any maintenance fees on the house . All tenants have too be by end of December
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No just a five day notice . And I'm stressed out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Can I ask him to keep the security deposit
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

A security deposit does not take the place of rent, even though landlords will keep the security deposit if a tenant leaves the apartment owing rent. If the tenant does not pay the last month's rent, the landlord can sue for eviction. In other words, if you do not pay rent within this 5 days, the landlord can then file suit against you to evict you, and you would have the right to answer the lawsuit, and then there would have to be a hearing. If the court found that the landlord was justified in evicting you, then the court would issue an "Order" of eviction, after which you would have to leave the home. That process normally takes at least a few weeks from the time a landlord files suit, though.

That said, if you and the landlord agree to use the security deposit for the rent owed, you can do that. I would encourage you to get any such agreement in writing.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page and pressing SUBMIT.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you!

Related Real Estate Law Questions