Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

An owner of a slope is responsible for the proper

Customer Question
maintenance of his slope....
an owner of a slope is responsible for the proper maintenance of his slope. If the slope damages an adjacent lot due to lack of proper maintenance is the owner of the responsible for the repairs?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, I reported to the city.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The city attorery claims the slope owner is only resposable to rwepair his slope and not the damagus don to other properties. Is he correct
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Thank you for your patience. Bas ed on common law principles of the tort of negligence, a landowner is responsible to their neighbor for any damage caused by one's land resulting in economic damage to the other land. In addition to such damages for events such as water damage, mudslides, etc, one also has the right to lateral support. The Romney case discusses this in detail and is cited as 64 Cal.2d 396.Questions, please post here. Otherwise kindly rate positive. Information is information only and not legal advice.
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator