How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I evict a person who doesn't have a lease. Pa, No, No

Customer Question

How do I evict a person who doesn't have a lease.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Pa
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is your reason for evicting this person? What was your agreement when they moved in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he never pays the agreed upon amount of bills + mortgage. he has paid nothing in the last 3 months.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I purchased the house there was verbial agreement to pay half which he has never done.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you.

An oral agreement IS a lease. The fact that it's not in writing doesn't mean it's not enforceable. Pennsylvania law allows you to serve them with a written notice to pay the total owed or vacate within 10 days. Include the total owed on the notice, which should be hand delivered. If that's not possible, you can post it on their door and also mail a copy, but hand delivery should be attempted first.

Note that, if they pay, they'll be allowed by law to stay. But because there isn't a written lease for a set term, you could also serve a notice of termination of tenancy within 30 days.

If the tenant ignores either notice and doesn't leave, you can go to the courthouse the day after the notice expires and file for eviction. The local landlord/tenant court should have eviction forms you can use.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I serve him witha notice to quit and he doesn't follow through I have to go to the court house for further processing?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

That's unfortunately right. Police won't remove him without a court order, and it's illegal for you to change the locks on him.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome. Good luck.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?