Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We rented a house for 17 years. We never looked in the

Customer Question
attic, we housed boxes up...
We rented a house for 17 years. We never looked in the attic, we housed boxes up there. When we recently moved the landlord found junk that is not ours, and wants to charge for disposal. Carpets need replaced, and some floor damage reports. Closet doors were never on, but wants use to replace. We left the house clean, and was out by date of notice. He never checked the attic, 17 years ago I didnt write up a list of needed repairs, darn. Now he wants money for all repairs that is just from family living. He never cleaned the carpet. What rights do we have. I will pay what is just. Thanks Jodi Lane
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon, Portland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No waiting to get the bill from him. Just wanted to know how to handle.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to take care of items I need to I'm not trying to get out of paying for 2 windows and a slider that are damaged. But not sure what my rights are after 17 yrs of a good rental history.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Hello there. A tenant does not have to pay for any damage unless the tenant caused damage to the abode above and beyond normal wear and tear. Also, a landlord must provide a itemized list with costs if the landlord wants to deduct from a security deposit. If someone has lived in an apartment for 17 years, replacing the carpet would be something that one could argue is not a cost a tenant should pay. Likewise, replacing or adding closet doors; or deposing of items that where never the tenants and left in the the abode prior to the tenant moving into the space. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney