How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was hoping to find out if I have a case,Currently I rent a

Customer Question

I was hoping to find out if I have a case,Currently I rent a condo and for the past 6 years we have complained that the condo fills with fumes when my neighbor uses there dryer, I have been assured up to a month ago that they were not on same piping system, However I have evidence now that there venting pipe is directly patched into mine and is completely venting into the condo, The property management expressed to my landlord that they were aware of this, after researching I have found that exhaust from dryer sheets is extremely carcinogenic. in the time I have lived there I have had pneumonia twice, bronchitis several times as well as my wife having similar respiratory issues. it seems now that they are dragging their feet to repair situation
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: only to landlord
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no maam ok
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Venting the way you describe is illegal and a violation of the building code. So your first step is filing a complaint to the local building inspector. Once you do that, if the inspector cites the owner as they should then you have grounds to sue the damages including any medical bills incurred from the sick apartment unit. So, yes, you have grounds to sue and because they are dragging their feet it is time to get the building inspector involved who will force them to fix the situation.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.