Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

An easement is granted to a county for a storm line to be

Customer Question
installed by the owner of...
An easement is granted to a county for a storm line to be installed by the owner of the property, who is responsible to maintain that line?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet, the county is reqesting the easement and is telling the property owner they are to maintain the storm drain
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. If it's your property and the county wants an easement on your property for a storm drain, then the county needs to agree to maintain it. The county cannot simply force an easement upon you without compensating you fairly for the easement and if they are not compensating you fairly, then, your recourse is to file suit and ask the court to rule on the the "value" of this taking of a benefit from your land. These government organizations always initially ask the property owner to agree to pay to maintain the line, but unless it only benefits your property and you are the party that needs the benefit of the easement to access the main storm drain, then you should definitely only agree to this if the county agrees to be obligated to maintain the line.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer