How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother had 4 Acres of property in County, Taxes (we

Customer Question

My grandmother had 4 Acres of property in Walker County, Taxes (we thought). She paid taxes on the property for approximately 50 years before she died in Houston, Texas. Afterward, my father paid taxes on the property for approximately another 30 years, before he died. Then my mother paid taxes for another 12 years, before she died. Afterward, I paid taxes for 8 more years. During my 8 years, of tax payments, I discovered that someone in Walker County, Texas had filed an Adverse Possession Claim on the property. This resulted in my brother, sister, and me employing a Title Search company to performed a title search on the property company and report back to us. They informed us that they could not find any record of my grandmother ever owning the property in the Walker County Courthouse and could not verify that a "Deed of Record" had every been filed. Although my grandmother had deeds in her procession showing that she owned the 4 Acres. We wrote a letter to the taxing authority in Walker County, Texas requesting a refunds of all taxes paid on these 4 Acres dating back 100 years. The taxing authority's lawyer is now informing us that we do not have a claim, because we paid the taxes willingly, along with back taxes, penalties and interest (I have receipts for all taxes paid dating back 100 years). We were trying to pay what the county tax office said we owed, only to discover that we were being tax on something we did not own. Can you provide me with any case law that would be a remedy us?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: It is in Texas. I would like to add that we have since discover that the taxing authority does not have any idea where the property is located. They have listed a location on their Tax Statement that is complete in Error!!!! Where they say the property is located is complete wrong and has been wrong for years. Please help us.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we just want our taxes refunded. At this point, it is in excess of $7,000.00.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Were you using and occupying the property all that time or were you absent landowners just paying taxes, this is important regarding adverse possession?