How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7217
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Live in a community in Southhaven Mississippi I've been

Customer Question

I Live in a community in Southhaven Mississippi I've been over here 12 years I've had vehicles in my yard for five years without an issue here recently I've been getting letters out the letters been in compliance with the city of Southaven and with my HOA on the vehicles. I then get another notice and the city comes by once again this time because of a flat tire. He's constantly coming by my house threatening to call the police if the issue is not taken care of this week. I really feel like I'm being harassed and bullied by this guy and there's nothing I can do about it. Can this be legal?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Lakes of Nicklaus association
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: To my knowledge only on their end to the city of Southaven
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't have a handbook with the rules and regulations
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 11 months ago.

I will be very honest with you I do not like HOA's. While they were a good idea in theory they are horrible in practice and have eroded our property rights.

When you purchase a home in any municipality your land use is governed by zoning codes. When you purchase a home in an Association you have additional rules and regulations that you must abide by as the deed (title) to your home has deed restrictions recorded against your real property that require you to follow the rules and regulations as set out in the HOA governing documents. The first step is to getting a copy of the governing documents to see if in fact you are violating any rules or regulations.

We need to look at your governing documents and the city code. Does the city provide you with the rule number that you are violating?

We would also need to check the city code to see if you are violating their rules as they have right to enforce a code that is om fact the law. It is bullying and harassment if there is no law, code or HOA rule and or regulation that you are violating. It is not harassment if you are following the laws.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 11 months ago.

I need the code violation number and a link for your governing HOA documents.