How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2563
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently purchased and moved into a town house. Unknown to

Customer Question

I recently purchased and moved into a town house. Unknown to me the person living next door is mentally ill. She screams and yells at all hours. In addition to this she screams and slams the car door at all hours. No one advised me about this person when I purchased. After moving in and witnessing this I spoke to the former owner and she told me there was nothing wrong with this person. Neighbors have told me she is a paranoid schizophrenic. They called the police many times and have gone to court to no avail. I fell that I should have been advised of this and is there any recourse
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: What type of paperwork do you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I feel I am owed some kind compensation since I regret purchasing the townhouse and if I could afford it I would sell and move.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Let me check to see if the seller would have to disclose this in a disclosure statement in South Carolina. Apparently, in your situation the seller is denying any knowledge of it, which is somewhat suspect considering the other neighbors have called the Police and have gone to court on it. Brb...

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Here is what I found for you. If you need further help, let me know. State law in South Carolina (South Carolina Code Section 27-50-40) requires that sellers provide buyers a disclosure form, which includes details on the property, including:

  • defects in the roof, foundation and electrical systems
  • the heating source and water supply
  • conditions such as termites
  • nuisances, such as noise or odor
  • lawsuits that could affect title to the property, and
  • built-in systems and fixtures, such as a pool or sump pump.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Am I right that the nuisances such as noise applies?
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Yes. You are right: Here is a link of what needs to be disclosed. You can search for the words noise or nuisance:

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Have I answered all your questions? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Related Real Estate Law Questions