Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

Have been living in ex wife's house alone for 16 years with

Customer Question

Have been living in ex wife's house alone for 16 years with her knowledge. Have paid property taxes, all utilities, and made needed improvements. I am recently remarried and ex is now demanding rent..what are my rights?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wv
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Here you would stop paying the taxes here and pay rent.You can sue her in small claims for value of the improvements.

You are a month to month tenant.You would want to sign a lease here if you want to remain with long terms security.The landlord can require you to pay rent but not the taxes.The utilities are on you too as a tenant.Honestly you may be at a point in you have to pay rent you relocate.The ex is wanting too much in my opinion.You have options here, but she can require you to pay rent.

You can sue here in West Virginia for value of improvements here.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Small claims you can sue here pro se yourself without a lawyer for up to $5k in West Virginia.

Reference

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/west-virginia-small-claims-court-31738.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.