How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2166
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident in an apartment building in conway, sc. I

Customer Question

I am a resident in an apartment building in conway, sc. I moved in the place on May 1st. I notified my office that the door needed to be fixed. The maintenance guy came in and cemented the door jam down instead of using screws and chipped a chunk from the door frame and put a rubber thing on bottom of door. The door has been splitting and ever time it rains it floods the front room. Also my kitchen floods badly because of a leak in the siding. This has been going on for five months and I have told them over and over again. Nothing is being done. I called headquarters and still nothing. Now I have mice. My neighbor above me caught over 60 mice since June and they have done nothing. Finally she moved and now they are coming down to my apartment. There is mold growing on the side of the building as well. What can I do to get the repairs done? Can I withhold my rent this month and send a certified letter stating why? Telling them is doing no good and everyone keeps telling me it will be done. The lady at the office quit and now there is a lady there occasionally who told me a door came in over 2 weeks ago. I have an autistic son who has a nebulizer he uses when he gets sick and the mold growing is really bothering me. Unfortunately I can't afford to move and anything I have found is way too expensive.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: There is also a huge chunk between the door and the wall and bugs crawl in as well as rainwater.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Conway, South Carolina
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't sent them anything in the mail but I know the people I contacted.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

If you are not able to move and you have given them the opportunity to cure the problems then you can actually withhold rent and fix the issues on your own.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

If you have no further questions, a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.