Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am looking to buy a condo to use for airbnb. The problem

Customer Question
is most condos don't allow...
I am looking to buy a condo to use for airbnb. The problem is most condos don't allow leasing your apartment for less than 30 days. how are so many people using airbnb in condos with that bylaw? Is it a loophole since nobody is signing a lease? Are they just considered guests?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Most people are quite simply violating the bylaws and taking the chance they will not be reported. However, if you are caught the condo association can sue you for violating the bylaws. Even if nobody is signing a lease, it would still be a violation if the association. You cannot just claim they are guests, that takes just one neighbor to talk to them when they are staying in the unit and that would be uncovered. You would need to try to find a unit that has less strict bylaws or you face a problem if you are uncovered.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer