Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

This pertains to a 30 day notice to quit, Maryland, No. I

Customer Question

this pertains to a 30 day notice to quit
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. I just recieved a letter today. My son is and suffers from mental illness. He had an episode, and damaged the windows in my unit. I have appealed to the rental office to provide me with an estimate to repair. Instead I got a notice saying that this was criminal behavior
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son is currently getting treatment to correct his issue. I have never had any other incidents occur that would jeoporadize my lease
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly do you wish to know about this? For example, whether or not his mental disability gives him any extra rights in such a situation, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't they have to give me a chance to correct the problem before terminating my lease?
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
That depends.
What exactly is the listed VIOLATION that they are using as the reason for termination of lease?
OR, are you on a month to month lease, and they are simply giving you a 30 day notice of termination without a reason?
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!