Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We have rented for 22 years with only a 7 month lease. 1st &

Customer Question

We have rented for 22 years with only a 7 month lease. 1st & last at $550.00, no deposit. One $100.00/month rent increase in 2001. Since then no more rent increases we keep property in repair in lieu of. We replaced shower with new tile, new range, new dishwasher, new kitchen sink. We keep the trees maintained. They did put a new AC unit in when ours broke without raising the rent. This was discussed with our landlady Margaret Dittmar by her daughter & Margaret said not to raise the rent. We have been asked to get out in less than 2 months time as Margaret died & her children want to sell. We were given 1st right of refusal by Margaret but unfortunately can not afford it. We are asking for extra time to get out as we have been looking & working with realtors daily since we learned & not finding anything we can afford. We are both disabled & working hard to pack & give away and stressed. Do we have any legal right to ask for more time, we have never been late with our rent. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.

Just to confirm, you are saying there is NO written lease currently in effect?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is correct.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
second phone land line in case cell dies
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you lost CC info or need it again?
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I have made an offer for the premium service (phone call). You will need to accept that if you want to speak by telephone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I accept
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Click on the accept button.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you wish to continue? I am still here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you wish to continue online or over the telephone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i online i want to stay as long as legally possible i have lung cancer
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

There is nothing illegal about asking the landlord for additional time. However the landlord is under no legal obligation to give you consent to stay past the 15 days required in the Florida statute. So, if they give 2 months they are going beyond the time legally required.

If you and the landlord can agree to period of time you can stay make sure to get it in writing (that includes the 2 months they have already given).

Without something in writing they can terminate on 15 days, regardless of what you were told.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
loren please tell me how to cancel thank you jane
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no just cancel please
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Contact customer care.

Good luck to you.