Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

MY SON GOT BEHIND ON HIS HOUSE TAXES AND HIS HOUSE PAYMENTS,

Customer Question

MY SON GOT BEHIND ON HIS HOUSE TAXES AND HIS HOUSE PAYMENTS, IT SOLD ON COURT HOUSE STEPS BUT MORTAGE CO BOUGHT IT BACK AND I TOOKUP THE PAYMENTS AND PAID THE TAXES, BUT MY SON NOW TELLS ME IT IS HIS CAUSE ITS STILL IN HIS NAME, AM I OUT OF LUCK??
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: to change name?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Was there any agreement for son to repay you for redeeming the property by paying the back taxes?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO HE WONT PAY FOR ANYTHING I HAVE PUT IN THE PLACE, BACK PAYMENTS, TAXES, AND UP KEEP
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but place is in his name still so guess I have no ground to stand on huh

Ok, I hate to say it, but there is a 2 year right of redemption for a tax sale for the debtor. So if the back taxes are paid, by anyone, then he is able to reclaim ownership of the house.

.

Without any agreement with him, you can't force him to repay you that money..

.

So unfortunately, from a legal perspective, you would be considered to have made a gift to him, whether you intended to do so or not and since the house is still deeded in his name, he is still the owner.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks