How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I made a horrible mistake. Three years ago we

Customer Question

My husband and I made a horrible mistake. Three years ago we were very backward in our house and our son in law and daughter suggested we all live together to save expenses. We could not purchase a home with our already having the one so my daughter put the new home in her name. We were told we had to show a gifting letter to her for the $52,000 we put down on the home. They also borrowed $20,000 from my son-in-law's father at no interest. They lived with us for a year but saved nothing to put towards the home. I was babysitting my grandchildren full time while all of this happened. They lived in the home for three years and drug their feet on getting the remodel and having the mother in law built. Once the children got into school and received full time day care at the school they began causing arguments and finally told us they did not want to move together. Now they say they paid mortgage for three years so all of the profit for the home should come back to them. For our $52,000 they will give is a $1,000. The profit on the house after they took out all the paint they ever bought (the house was in good repair when we bought it) and every repair they ever did was $30,000. They say all of that is theirs because they paid in $15,000 on principle. We say we had to pay our mortgage ($4,300 per month) while they drug their feet and the profit should be split. Though we did write the gifting letter we have plenty of emails showing the intent of us moving there. What is the appropriate split on money and what are the laws of two parties purchasing a home together and one getting to live in it? Thank you for your help on this.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Real Estate Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh, and my son in law's father's money was taken out before that profit.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: As far as our ownership of the house?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I don't think so.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

What state is the home located in?

Whose names are ***** ***** title to the home?

Does the deed show what % of the home each person on the title owns?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The home is located in Washington State. Only my daughters name was on the deed. It does not show our names as we could not purchase a home at that time. We do however have many emails going back and forth that show that we purchased the house together with the intent to both live on the property.
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Ownership interest in a home is typically determined by whose name(s) are on the deed. However, you may have a claim based in equity such as unjust enrichment to recover what is fairly owed to you. See this WA law.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.