Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I had a 21yr old living with me from april to aug of this

Customer Question

i had a 21yr old living with me from april to aug of this year. He paid nothing to me. When he left he didn't take his car. It sat in my drive for one week. I called a tow truck company to remove it. Now he is thinking about taking me to court. Saying I had no right to do that.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Kansas and it was a Honda don't know what year but he took the tag off before he left
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he talked my son into buying him an $18,000.00 car. He also caught my bathroom trash can on fire and has not paid for damages.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Towing could be considered proper storage until the tenant removes the property. There are other issues too. In Kansas landlords must store possessions for 30 days and at least 15 days before sale or disposal, attempt to notify the tenant. Unlike most other states that require the notice to be mailed or delivered personally, Kansas law requires landlords to publish the notice in the local newspaper. After 7 days from publication, the landlord must mail a copy of the published notice to the tenant’s last known address. In the meantime, the landlord is suppose to store the property is a safe place. All proceeds from a sale go to the landlord. The tenant may reclaim the property during the 30-day period or at any time before you get rid of it -- but only if they pay you for the costs of storing the property, preparing the property for sale, and any other outstanding debts, including back rent. Separately, if a tenant damaged rental property, the landlord can sue the tenant. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 8 months ago.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.