How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34027
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living in a rent controlled flat in NYC with my

This answer was rated:

I am living in a rent controlled flat in NYC with my boyfriend for almost 4 years. I am the holder of the lease and we have no formal agreement on who pays the rent or household expenses. He pays for the cable/home phone, housekeeping and groceries though. I am looking to understand what my rights are if I change the locks and prohibit him from entering because he has shown tendency to be violent in the past and don't want to give me much notice

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Has he threatened you or hurt you physically?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Your boyfriend has the rights of a month to month tenant.

That means that if you lock him out you run the risk that he will sue you for unlawful eviction. He may also come with the police and demand to be allowed access to his home and you would be forced to let him back in.

You can change the locks if you want to gamble that he will just go somewhere else, as long as you know the risk.

Also, if he does threaten you, call the police. They will take him out and you can get an order of protection to legally prohibit him form coming back.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You and I do have a follow-up, what if I terminate the lease and move out ?

If you terminate and move out then his right to occupy ends as well.

Unless, of course, he comes to his own arrangement with the landlord.

Loren and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got it. thank you this was the best money I ever spent.

Thank you for using JA. Best of luck!!