How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7310
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a duplex in a different city. Tenant on one side of

Customer Question

I own a duplex in a different city. Tenant on one side of the tenant is complaining of strong odor coming from the next door unit, generally at night. She suspects some kind of drug activity. Since I don't live there I have no proof of such activity. How do I take care of this issue.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Mohammad
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is reported by the tenant but she does not know the real issue
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Preferably need a lawyer with CA bar
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. You really need to find out what's going on next door. If it is truly a drug lab, that can be very dangerous, both to life and property. Drug fumes can literally destroy the interior of a home.
You might ask the local police to check out the property at night. It's possible that the police will know what is causing the smell. the other alternative is for you as the owner to check it out personally with the tenant. if there is suspicious activity going on, then you should terminate the lease and evict the occupants as soon as possible.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Since I don't have any proof, how can I ask tenant about this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i don't live there so it is not easy to for me to check out personally
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

Please clarify. Is the odor coming from a half of the duplex that you own, or from the house next door?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
from other half of the duplex
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. If noxious odors are emanating from that tenants side,you do not need proof to ask the tenant about it. It is your property and you have a right to know what is going on inside of it. If you can't check out the property personally, you might consider hiring a local property manager to do that for you. You can probably get it to do that for a fixed fee, rather than signing up with him for continuing management services

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

Please don't forget to enter a Karen hopefully) five-star rating. We appreciate your business.

Related Real Estate Law Questions